Unit 4 Public transport
Grammar and usage (1) Teaching aims: learn the verb-ing and verb-ed used as an attribute or as an adverbial . Important and difficult points: the verb-ing and verb-ed used as an attribute or as an adverbial. Period one Step 1.Ask Ss to read Parts1 and 2.
Step 2. Practice (Deal with Part A ).
Step 3. Go through Parts 3, 4 and 5.
Step 4. Deal with Part B.
Step 5. Exs (C1 and C2 of Page 128 in Workbook).
Step 6. Homework: Go through the paper and finish off the exercises of it.(15m)
Unit4 Public transport Grammar and usage (2) Teaching aims: learn the verb-ing and verb-ed used as an attribute or as an adverbial . I mportant and difficult points: the verb-ing and verb-ed used as an attribute or as an adverbial. Step1.分词作定语。 分词作定语时有下面几个特点： A.现在分词表示主动意义，过去分词一般表示被动含意。 B.现在分词表示正在进行，过去分词表示状态，或己做完(完成)的事。 例如：He rushed into the burning house.他冲进了正在燃烧着的房子。 The child standing over there is my brother.站在那儿的男孩子是我弟弟。 The room facing south is our classroom.朝南的房间是我们的教室。 Have you got your repaired watch?你拿到那个修好的表了吗? He is an advanced teacher.他是个先进教师。 Step2.分词作状语 1.分词和分词短语作状语时，可以表示时间、原因、条件、让步、方式和伴随情况。在表示时间、 原因、条件、让步和方式时，通常可转换为相应的状语从句，表示方式和伴随情况时，可以转换为 一个并列的谓语成分。 例如：Seeing the teacher entering the room, the students stood up.(=When the students saw the teacher entering the room, they stood up.)学生们看见老师走进房间，都站了起来。 Heated, ice will be changed into water.(=When it is heated...)当冰加热时，它就会变成水。 (条件、时间) Being excited, I couldn’t go to sleep.(=As I was excited, I couldn’t go to sleep.)我 兴奋得睡不着觉。(原因) I stood there, listening to the broadcast.(=I stood there and listened to the broadcast.) 我站在那儿听广播。(伴随)
The children went away laughing.(=The children went away. They laughed as they went.) 孩子们笑 着走开了。(行为方式) Knowing all this, they made me pay for the damage.(=Although they know all this...)他们 尽管了解这一切，还是要我赔偿损失。 2.分词作状语与主语的关系。 A. 现在分词作状语时，现在分词的动作就是句子主语的动作，它们之间的关系是主动关系。 例如：He went out shutting the door behind him.他出去后将门随手关上。 Not knowing what to do, he went to his parents for help.由于不知如何办是好，他去找父母 帮忙。 B. 过去分词作状语时，过去分词表示的动作是句子主语承受的动作，它们之间的关系是被动关系。 例如：Given more attention, the trees could have grown better.如果对这些树多关心一些， 它们本来会长得更好。 Faced with difficulties, we must try to overcome them.在遇到困难的时候，我们必须设法克 服。 3.分词作状语时前面可用连词。 when, while, once, if, unless, though 等引导的状语从句，若其主语与主句主语相同时，可保 留该副词连接词，其余部分则化简为分词短语。 例如：When (being) free，I’ll fetch you.有空时，我会来接你。 While walking along the street early in the morning, he saw her.一早在街上散步时，他看 到了她。 If falling ill, I’ll see my doctor.如果生病我会去看医生。 Once completed, this power station supplies the nearby towns and villages with electricity. 这个电站一旦建成，将向附近的城乡供电。 Even though __________ (give) every opportunity, they would not try.即使给他们一切机会， 他们也不肯试一试。 Though (know ) the truth, he remained silent.虽然他知道实情，却保持沉默。
4. 分词作状语时，要特别注意其逻辑主语须和谓语动词的主语一致，否则分词必须有自己的主语。 这种带主语的分词结构称作分词的独立结构，或独立主格。 例如：The rain having stopped, the soldiers continued their match.雨停后，战士们又继续 行军了。
The boys returned, their faces covered with sweat.孩子们回来了，满脸是汗。 〈注〉有时也可用“with(或 without)+名词(或代词宾格)+分词”的结构，表示伴随情况。 例如：He fell asleep with the lamp burning.他亮着灯睡着了。 The teacher entered the classroom, with a bag (being)in his hand.老师进了教室，手中提着 一个包。 5. 分词作连词引导状语从句。 这 些 分 词 有 :provided (or provided that) ， providing that, supposing, seeing (that), considering 等。 例如：You can arrive in Beijing earlier for the meeting provided you don’t mind taking the night train. 如果你不介意搭夜班火车，你就能早点儿到北京开会。 I’ll go, providing you go too. 如果你去的话我就去。 Supposing it rains, what shall we do?假如要下雨的话，我们怎 么办? Seeing (that) she is old enough to get married, I don’t think you can stop her. 鉴于她 已到结婚年龄，我看你阻止不了她。 Considering he has been learning English only for a year, he speaks it quite well.考虑 到他学习英语才一年，他讲得相当不错。
Unit4 Public transport Grammar and usage (3) Teaching aims: learn the verb-ing and verb-ed used as an attribute or as an adverbial . Important and difficult points: the verb-ing and verb-ed used as an attribute or as an adverbial. 巩固练习。 A. Fill in the blanks with the words in the brackets in their proper forms. 1. __________ (give) more time, he will make a first class tennis player. 2. _____(hear) that Li Yuchun will give a performance in the city, he got very excited. 3. My grandfather always tells me that the _________ (labour) people are the wisest in the world.
4. __________ (be) a student in the new century, we should know what is honourable behavior in the world. 5. He sent the company another e-mail, ___________(hop e) to get further information about the job. 6. Unless __________(invite ) to speak, you should remain silent at the conference. 7. Generally speaking, when______________ (take) according to the directions, the drug has no side effect. 8. ____________ (depend) on the nature of the materials, some waste can be thrown into the sea, but some can’t. B. Multiple choice. 1. We often provide our children with toys, footballs or basketballs, that all children like these things. A. thinking 2. B. think C. to think D. thought
and happy, Tony stood up and accepted the prize. A. Surprising B. Surprised C. Being surprised D. To be surprising
3. There have been several new events __________ to the program for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. A. add B. to add C. adding D. added
4. A good story does not necess arily have to have a happying ending, but the reader must not be left ____________. A. unsatisfied B. unsatisfying C. to be unsatisfying D. being unsatisfied
5. No matter how frequently ____________, the works of Beethoven still attract people all over the world. A. performed B. performing C. to be performed D. being performed
6. ___________ this cake, you’ll need 2 eggs, 175g sugar and 175g flour. A. Having made B. Make C. To make D. Making
7. The wild flowers looked like a soft orange blanket ___________ the desert. A. covering B. covered C. cover D. to cover
8. ____________ for the breakdown of the school computer network, Alice was in low spirits. A. Blaming B. Blamed C. To blame D. To be blamed
9. The Chinese are proud of the 29 A. hold B. holding
Olympic Games __________ in Beijing in 2008. C. held D. to be held
10. Whenever he was asked why he was late for class, he would answer carelessly, always____________ the same thing. A. saying B. said C. to say D. having said
11. Faced with a bill for ﹩10,000 , ____________. A. John has taken an extra job B. the boss has given John an extra job C. an extra job has been taken D. an extra job has bee given to John 12. The eighteen-storied building, when___________ , will shut out the sun ____________ up the rooms in my house. A. completed; lighted C. completing; lighted B. completing; lighting D. completed; lighting
13. ________ into use in April 2000, the hotline was meant for residents reporting water and heating supply breakdowns. A. Put B. Putting C. Having put D. Being put
14. _________ in the mountains for a week, the two students were finally saved by the local police. A. Having los t B. Lost C. Being lost D. Los ing
15. Alice returned from the manager’s office, __________ me t hat the boss wanted to see me at once. A. having told B. tells C. to tell D. telling
Step. 4 Homework: Finish off the exercises of Pages 61 and 62 of KKL.(20m) Key answers: A: Given; B:ABDAA Hearing; CABDA labouring; Being; hoping; invited; taken; Depending